Here’s a list of the top 100 favourite Irish Mammy sayings….
You might recognise a few of these!!
01. A little Birdy told me
02. Am I talking to a brick wall?
03. Are you deaf or something?
04. As long as you live under my roof you’ll do as I say -d’ya hear me?.
05. Beds are not made for jumping on.
06. Close the door! You don’t live in a barn.
07. Did you brush your teeth?
08. Did you comb your hair?
09. Do you think I’m made of money or something?
10. I suppose you think your socks are going to pick themselves up?
11. If you eat that you’ll get worms!
12. Don’t make me get up!
13. Stop running in the house.
14. Sit back from the television or you’ll get square eyes.
15. Don’t talk with your mouth full!
16. Don’t walk away when I’m talking to you!
17. Eat your vegetables, they’re good for you
18. How do you know you don’t like it if you haven’t even tasted it?
19. I brought you into this world, and I can take you out just as easy!
20. I didn’t ask who put it there, I said “Pick it up!”
21. I don’t care what “everyone” is doing.
22. I don’t have to explain myself. I said no.
23. I hope someday you have children just like you.
24. If you could stay out last night, you can get up this morning.
25. If you stick your tongue out again I’ll cut it off.
26. If you’re too sick to go to school, you’re too sick to play outside.
27. I’m going to skin you alive!
28. I’m not going to ask you again.
29. What am I your cleaning lady?
30. It’s way past your bedtime.
31. Look at me when I’m talking to you.
32. Money does NOT grow on trees.
32. No child of MINE is going out dressed like that.
34. I swear ta God!
35. Over my dead body!
36. Pick that up before somebody trips on it and breaks their neck!
37. Put that down! You don’t know where it’s been!
38. Say that again and I’ll give you a thick ear.
39. Shut your mouth and eat your dinner.
40. If Sean’s mom let him jump off a cliff, would you want me to let you do it too?
41. There’s enough dirt in those ears to grow potatoes!
42. Jeasus Mary & Joseph
43. You could grow cabbages behind those eaars.
44. Believe me this hurts me more than it hurts you.
45. Turn that racket down!
46. Right that’s it, where’s the wooden spoon?
47. Watch your mouth!
48. What did I say the FIRST time?
49. What part of NO don’t you understand?
50. When you have your own house then you can make the rules!
51. Where do YOU think you’re going?
52. Would ya look what the cat dragged in.
53. Finally, the dead arose and apeared to many.
54. Who died and made you boss?
55. Who do you think you’re talking to?
56. Yes I am the boss of you.
57. You won’t be happy until you break that, will you?
58. You’ll understand when you’re older.
59. If you fall off that wall and break your legs don’t come running to me!
60. A little soap & water never killed anybody
61. Answer me when I ask you a question
62. You’re not going out dressed like that
63. Where do you think you’re going in that get up?
64. Are your hands broken? Pick it up yourself! I’m not your maid
65. Do you think this is a hotel?
66. Don’t ask me WHY. The answer is NO
67. Don’t cross your eyes or they’ll freeze that way
68. Don’t EVER let me catch you doing that again
69. Don’t make me come up there
70. Don’t use that tone with me
71. Ask your father
72. How many times do I have to tell you?
73. God above, give me patience
74. I don’t care who started it,I’m ending it
75. If I want your opinion I’ll ask for it!
76. If I’ve told you once … I’ve told you a thousand times.
77. If you don’t clean your plate, you won’t get any dessert.
78. If you don’t stop crying, I’ll give you something to cry about!
79. I’ll treat you like a grown up when you start acting like one.
80. I’m going to give you until the count of three and then I’m getting your father…1,2…that’s it!
81. I’m not running a taxi service yuno
82. I’m not your maid
83. Have you done your homework yet?
84. I’ve had it up to here with the lot of ye.
85. Look at this room! It looks like a pigsty
86. Now, say you’re sorry…and MEAN it!
87. Think of those poor starving children in Africa
88. Were you born in a barn?
89. Why? Because I SAID so, that’s why!
90. You are getting on my last nerve.
91. You had better wipe that smile off your face before I do it for you.
92. You WILL eat it, and you WILL like it!
93. You’d forget your head if it wasn’t attached to your shoulders! 94. You’re going to put your eye out with that thing!
95. Wait ‘til your father gets home!
96. Did you turn off the immersion?
97. If you’re not asleep when I come up I’ll kill ya!
98. Honest ta God you’ll be the death of me!
99. Are you a man or a mouse?
100.What time do you call this?